Disciplinary Action

Main Content


The university may take formal disciplinary action short of discharge against an employee ranging in degree of severity from a written reprimand to the maximum 30-calendar-day suspension from work without pay. The university may also initiate proceedings before the Merit Board for discharge for cause (Statute and Rules, 250.110.f). When such action is contemplated, the department head or immediate supervisor should contact Labor and Employee Relations to discuss the matter. Only Human Resources or designee has the authority to suspend an employee without pay. No suspension shall begin until after the employee receives a written Disciplinary Suspension Notice. If an employee feels that a disciplinary action has been unfairly imposed, he/she may file a grievance in accordance with the appropriate grievance procedure. It should be noted that a grievance in regard to a disciplinary suspension is not reviewable by the State Universities Civil Service System.