Period of Annual Service
[The following was approved on May 4, 1995, in accordance with provisions set forth in SIU Board of Trustees 2 Policies C.]
Appointments may be made on either an academic- or fiscal-year basis. The duration of an academic-year appointment may be for all or any portion of the 9-month academic year beginning on August 16 and ending on May 15. The duration of a fiscal-year appointment may be for all or any portion of the fiscal year beginning on July 1 and ending on June 30. A fiscal-year appointment should be made for a full 12 months only if it meets the following criteria:
- The position has year-round responsibilities with the services performed being in demand 12 months per year.
- The need for the position is normally not
- dependent on the presence of students on campus;
- tied to the academic calendar;
- driven by seasonal factors such as weather.
- The appointment must be justified by the workload and not simply by availability of funds.