Performance Evaluation Of Civil Service Staff
[The following was approved on April 19, 1995, in accordance with provisions set forth in SIU Board of Trustees 2 Policies C.]
Each employee's work performance is given a periodic, formal evaluation by the employee's immediate supervisor. The purposes of the evaluations are
- to foster positive communication between employee and supervisor regarding the employee's job performance;
- to encourage the employee and supervisor to cooperate in setting performance goals;
- to provide a standard format for evaluating the employee's skill level, work quality, and productivity;
- to identify those elements of job performance requiring improvement; and
- to establish an action plan describing training needs, promotion potential, and future career/professional development.
Formal evaluations are required 3 times during a 1-year probationary period, twice during a 6-month probationary period, and annually thereafter for permanent employees.
Annual evaluations will be conducted near the employee's anniversary date in class although supervisors conduct additional performance evaluations during the year.
At the time of the annual evaluation, the supervisor and employee should review and, if needed, update the employee's approved position description. Following the evaluation, both parties meet to discuss the evaluation. All evaluations are reviewed by the department head.
The standard evaluation forms, which are sent by Labor and Employee Relations to the employing departments, must, upon completion, be returned to Labor and Employee Relations before inclusion in the employee's official personnel file in Human Resources. The employing department must provide each employee with a copy of the evaluation.