Performance Evaluation of A/P Staff
This procedure applies to all full- or part-time administrative/professional staff members regardless of the source of funding for their departments or programs.
The job performance of administrative/professional staff members shall be evaluated through a process which seeks to make clear the employee's duties and responsibilities as stated in the position description; to give the employee an understanding of the supervisor's job performance expectations in light of those duties and responsibilities; to provide for regular communication between employee and supervisor about the employee's performance of those duties and responsibilities; and to enable the employee to improve job performance and to develop professionally.
- Performance evaluations are normally based on the calendar year effort, with the evaluation process being conducted between January 1 and March 31 of the following year.
- During the first month of the evaluation cycle (normally in January), or within the first three months of employment, the supervisor will meet with the employee to review the position description, to communicate his/her job performance expectations, and to establish the optional performance factors which will be rated at the end of the evaluation cycle.
- The supervisor, in scheduling the conference to discuss the annual evaluation, will provide the employee with sufficient notice to prepare for the conference.
- The supervisor(s) who directly supervised the employee during the evaluation period will conduct the conference. The evaluation may contain input from others, including the supervisor's supervisor, and may also contain self-evaluation from the employee.
- Following the conference, the completed evaluation will be made part of the employee's permanent personnel file at Human Resources.
Since performance evaluations are based on duties and responsibilities contained in the position description, the supervisor and employee will periodically review the accuracy of position descriptions, updating them as needed.