Tuition and Fee Refunds
[The following was approved on April 28, 1987, in accordance with provisions set forth in SIU Board of Trustees 4 Policies A.6.]
- Tuition and all general student fees shall be refunded to students who officially withdraw from the university by the withdrawal deadlines specified by Board of Trustees policy (4 Policies B.5). Action on any request for refund of tuition and fees shall be in compliance with Board of Trustees policy and these procedures. For refund of tuition and fees prior to the withdrawal deadlines, the following will apply:
- Request for a withdrawal from the university is initiated by Transitional Programs and approved by the student's academic dean as part of the normal withdrawal procedures.
- Refund of tuition and fees based on withdrawal from the university on or prior to the withdrawal deadlines is made without consideration of the student's reason for withdrawing.
- No tuition or general student fees shall be refunded in cases where withdrawal occurs after the deadlines stated in Board of Trustees policy, except for students in grave circumstances who demonstrate that, for reasons beyond their control, they are utterly unable to continue their educational program. Refunds of tuition and general student fees approved in such cases are made at the university's discretion upon a determination by the chancellor or designee of the existence of one of the following conditions:
- Accident or illness occurring prior to the withdrawal deadline which incapacitated the student and made it impossible for him/her to withdraw prior to the deadline;
- Accident or illness in the student's immediate family which occurs prior to the withdrawal deadline and is of such nature as to prevent the student from continuing his/her education;
- Emotional or psychological trauma resulting from an incident which occurred prior to the deadline and for which the student is undergoing counseling or therapy;
- A disciplinary, academic, or financial aid termination appeal which is not accepted if the appeal was initiated prior to the withdrawal deadline;
- Induction into military service for a period not less than six months.
- The refund of tuition and fees in cases where withdrawal from the university occurs after the deadlines specified in the Board of Trustees refund policy is governed by the following procedures:
- The Vice Chancellor for Student Affairs or designee will serve as the chancellor's representative for considering requests for refund of tuition and fees after the time period specified in the refund policy.
- Request for such refunds are initiated by Transitional Programs, which will furnish the student with the necessary information and appropriate form.
- A student requesting a refund after the specified periods must withdraw from the university before the request for refund will be acted upon.
- Tuition and fees will not be refunded for courses which have already been completed earlier in the semester and for which a final grade has been earned.
- The student must submit written verification of the reasons supporting the request, i.e., a) written verification from a physician as to an accident or illness to the student or in the student's immediate family and the student's inability to withdraw prior to the deadline; or b) written verification from a physician or counselor which supports his/her statement concerning emotional or psychological trauma and which substantiates that the trauma resulted from an incident which occurred prior to the deadline; or c) a copy of the letter denying a disciplinary, academic, or financial aid termination appeal and verification that the appeal was filed prior to the withdrawal deadline; or d) written correspondence from the military which verifies when the students is to report for military service and the length of time for which the student is expected to serve.
- The student requesting the refund shall be required to substantiate to the satisfaction of the coordinator of Student Development, the nature, extent and seriousness of conditions or circumstances which are the basis for the refund request.
- The coordinator of Student Development will make a decision on the request and inform the student as soon as practical. Refund approvals will then be forwarded to Admissions and Records for processing.