Researcher Positions: Guidelines for Classification
[The following was approved on May 23, 1996, in accordance with provisions set forth in SIU Board of Trustees 2 Policies C.]
- A researcher position will be classified by the department head according to the position's responsibilities and education/experience requirements.
- The classification of the new researcher position is subject to the review and approval of the appropriate dean and the Associate Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs (Budget and Personnel) or designee.
- At the beginning of each fiscal year, researcher positions will be reviewed by department heads, in consultation with supervisors and appropriate deans, to determine
- the appropriateness of the classification of each position with respect to the duties performed, and
- the qualifications (education and experience) of the incumbent with respect to eligibility for promotion.
- At the time a position is reclassified, an appropriate salary increase, funded by the department, will be granted. Under normal circumstances, the new salary must be at least as much as the minimum for the new classification, with 5% as the minimum promotional increase. This increase will not affect any annual salary increases for which the employee may be eligible.
- When the source of funds supporting an employee's position changes (change of account), the employee's salary will remain the same. However, when an employee applies for and is selected to fill an open position following a search, this change will be treated as any new appointment.